Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Priorities

Time has passed since I last wrote. It’s all about priorities and when you have many of them…well something has to suffer. Christmas has come and gone, a trip to Cuba, joined a gym, joined Toastmasters, started a Spanish class, reading War & Peace, reading book on Buddhism, tried knitting socks (but quit), and lost a good friend to cancer. Some sad, some challenging, and some peaceful times all mixed together as my life. As I approach my 55th birthday I start to ponder about this life I’ve been given that can either count for something or for nothing and it is totally up to me to decide which it’s going to be.

As I read War & Peace the message that hits me hardest is that these people lived 200 years ago and they weren’t so different from the way we are today. Some are hungry for power and want to rule the world and many people are killed needlessly in the name of justice; but the main thing is they are all dead…..just like 100 years from now we will be dead and how will the people then look back on our decisions? Will it count for anything?

My beautiful friend who died was loved by many and really lived life. I am now happy for her legacy and memories that her friends will cherish. Here again, when death comes to a friend, it forces us to look at our own lives and the decisions we make. Please don’t think I am being morbid or thinking too deeply. No, I see all this as a simple fact and happy to have clarity enough to make healthy decisions for myself. I suppose this may be part of the reason I joined the gym. And Toastmasters? I have not actually had to get up and speak yet so will have to send an update on this later.

I have not been walking all winter because the cold weather just got to my lungs and illness prevented me from getting out there. That’s OK, I’m on the right path again which is all that matters. I have postponed my trip to walk the Camino de Santiago until Sept\Oct and know that I’ll be in better physical condition at that time. All any of us can do is keep moving forward.

Life is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.