Thursday, April 15, 2010

Over My 1st Hurdle

I have not said much lately about this walking thing, because all I have been able to think of is the pain and I’m not much of a complainer. The pain, that moved from my left arch to my left knee, then to my right knee and then seemed to find a permanent home in my right arch. Every step included a sharp jab through my foot, not to mention the stiffness that was making me move like I was ninety. A couple of weeks ago I decided that orthotics would help, so I ordered some and the pain continued, along with the strange feeling of these foreign things in my shoes. Falling back on the old life lesson “just when you get so frustrated that you want to quit, don't give up because things are about the change” I kept going. Today I am elated to have just walked 2 kms at lunch and NO PAIN! Not a single jab  It took a month and 150 km, but I am sure that I’m over this 1st hurdle. The next challenge will be hills. Currently everytime I see one I walk in the other direction.

Yesterday was my 54th birthday and I’m feeling pretty positive about being another year older. I feel grateful for everyday that I am given the opportunity to experience life, whether in easy or challenging times. Next year at this time I plan to be walking across the Pyrenees from France to Spain. The 1st mountain is a steep walk through wooded areas from altitude 50m rising to 1400m. I need to start walking towards those hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.