Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 27 - Fonfria to Samos - 25 km

It's not light enough to walk in the mornings now until about 8:00 a.m. I woke up with the usual lights flashing and kerfuffle of people speaking in other languages. Some mornings I take this all in with a positive peligrino spirit. This was not one of those mornings. I am failing to understand why people want to wake up so early when they either have to wait for daylight or walk in the dark. I got up with the rest of them and walked out the door light a crazy person in the dark. I mean it was REALLY dark! I was wearing my headlamp and I'm sure quite a sight as I headed down the road. I had decided to take the main road instead of the Camino path because I knew that this morning involved a very steep decline which is hard on the knees. Almost an hour went by before I removed the headlamp and sat down at the side of the mountain road. It was incredibly quiet except for the birds and I felt quite in awe that I was sitting by the side of a mountain road in Galacia, Spain watching the sunrise.

I hadn't had breakfast and was hungry when I reached Triacastela 3 hours later where I was able to get cafe con leche and a croissant. After spending my last 3 € I found a bank machine in the town. The walk today was extremely beautiful and more enjoyable physically than the extreme mountain trails of yesterday.

I walked all day along the Oribio River and through very very old little villages where everything is made of stone. I believe most of the pilgrims took an alternate shorter route to Sarria today because I rarely saw anyone else on the Camino. I walked by many cows and had to be continually on guard about where I stepped! Cow pies in the road appear to be a normal and socially acceptable thing here.

I arrived at Somas at 2:00, but the monastery where I am staying tonight did not open until 3:00. A friend had told me this morning that he'd seen Benji leaving with a couple of French girls at 6:30 and there he was, across the road from the monastery here in Samos. We had a little visit and I'll have to see about getting him some food later.

News flash! I went to vespers and mass tonight for the first time since on the Camino. Since I'm staying at the monastery there's a bit of peer pressure. I liked the chanting and the organ music. Only 19 monks live in this huge monastery. I'll be in Santiago by this time next week. My plan is to spend a couple of days there and to attend the spectacular pilgrim mass on Sunday, before flying from Santiago to Paris on the 10th.

7 comments:

  1. I had tears in my eyes when you talked about the guy who gave you the 20 euros. I have no idea how you do not get lost. I am eyeing up September 2012 and I need a tour guide.

    I was out walking 10 kms today - we have a bit of a cold snap in Southern Ontario - it was 8C but I figured that if you can walk 25+ kms a day, I can walk 10km. You are a real inspiration for us followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gianni:

    Sounds Beautiful. Nice sunrise and a monastery. :-) Sounds like you're making more and more progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine, Lauren from Santo Domingo de las Calzadas. Great blog. While you were bathing in the Parador there, I was dinner for the bedbugs! Nasty little critters. It sounds as if you are having the time of your life!! Enjoy. BTW, I ahd a 'camino dog follow me from Hornillos for a couple of days, then he just turned around and began heading back!! Haha. Enjoy.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Catherine . . . I've been following from the start and have enjoyed every post. Tim is right on! You are an inspiration to us.
    Yesterday, I walked 25K on hilly trails and though of you often. In fact, ever time I thought about packing it in like 28% of the other walkers did.
    Best wishes and looking forward to talking with you when you get home.
    Ron Kipp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren I'm so glad to have met you in Santo Domingo. Dinner that evening is one of my fondest memories. And thanks so much for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron I have thought of you as well because of all the times you patiently walked with me during my training period, even though I was slower. But we've had great conversations haven't we? More to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Tim..... Thanks as always for you continued support!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.