Sunday, October 9, 2011

Santiago - continued

I've been having a fabulous time in Santiago. Last night Jutta and I shared an amazing seafood meal that made us both a bit queazy afterwards, but we had a lot of fun and it was delicious. Jutta is the most special person I have met on the Camino. She is from Germany, speaks English quite well and I think she is terrific!

Today started out quite amazing because I slept until 9:00 a.m.! Then I got ready to meet Jutta at the cathedral. This cathedral production is incredible and hard to fathom. We got there at 10:30 for the noon mass. There was already a mass in progress that had started at 10:00 and we walked into the church, prepared to grab the first available pew. It sounds crazy, but most people have to stand during the mass and seats are at a premium. Jutta and I got a seat very close to the front and were prepared to sit through yet another Spanish mass to see the incense chalice. I am not a religious person, but as part of the pilgrim tradition had to see this. And it happened..... a special moment.

After the mass our little Camino group met outside the cathedral for hugs and pictures and then we all went for lunch. Jutta and I decided that since we had come to the end of our high calorie lifestyle we should have one last hooray! We went to a special cafe and ordered more than the average person's intake of sweets for some sugar closure.

We then decided that we should have a picnic for supper and arranged to meet at 7:00 for a feast in the park of sausage, cheese, bread, and fruit. We ate and talked for a long time and ended up back at the cathedral where we sat and listened to a Celtic band. It has been a beautiful end to an amazing experience as I will leave Santiago tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be very happy to have you back but I don't want your experience to end...I guess coming home is only the beginning though - life from the present moment on is only what we make it. Love you mom. Very glad to see you so joyful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    You need to tell us that you made it home safe. Since the travel from Santiago to home can be a task in itself, let us know what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! We walked the Camino almost the same period, but I arrived on October 8, 2011 instead! Nice to see a picture of the sink at O Cebreiro and also a picture in the "Meson de Rodriguez" in Ponferrada, I have the same pictures taken... those could be yours :-)

    I liked also your reflections... you in Canada, I in Argentina, and several friends I met from all over the world have so unique and at some point so similar experiences that I am in awe...

    Warm hug,
    Cheers for your next Camino
    Kindly
    Cris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! Your comment means so much to me :) No one knows really how it is unless they have been there. Like yourself. I miss it all the time and dream of returning, but not sure I would be able to again. Buen Camino to you in your life adventures. PS. I love Argentina!

      Delete
  4. Thank you!
    Leave me a message if you happen to come!
    http://lonaciente.blogspot.com.ar/2012/09/camino.html

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.