Saturday, October 8, 2011

Santiago de Compostela

The emotional time at the cathedral square turned into overwhelming exhaustion. I needed to go to the pilgrims office to receive the Compostela so that I could then find a place to rest. It wasn't hard to find and there was hardly any wait. This document is all in Latin, including my name, Catharinan Junian McCoy. As I left the pilgrim office a women was standing in the street recruiting people to stay in a hotel nearby. It would be 30€ but at least I had my own room, even if the bathroom was down the hall. It's not so bad here really, very clean and I have a few out onto the street.

The next thing on the agenda was to go to the cathedral to touch the figure of the apostle St. James. this is all part of the pilgrim tradition and not to be missed. The cathedral is elaborate and one might say, "over the top". The pilgrims line up behind the apostle figure and then climb the marble stairs that lead behind him, where it it tradition to hug him or touch his cloak. If you look closely at the picture below you can see there is a man behind St James and touching him. I sat in the cathedral for some time after this, just soaking in the whole experience. And then it was time to go for a walk!

I'll be moving into a nicer room in this place for Saturday and Sunday. This old part of Santiago is very beautiful. I like to just sit in the little plaza by my new hotel, watch people go by and feed the pigeons. Every so often I see fellow pilgrims that I've met on the way and we have a chat about our experience. There are a lot of shops with loads of stuff to buy, but so far I've only purchased a pashmina for 5€ since it's turned quite cold!

Saturday noon:
I went to the pilgrims mass today at the cathedral. Sometimes they light a large incense chalice that you can see hanging in this picture, but today they didn't and now I will need to go back tomorrow because everyone says they will on Sunday. Church twice in one weekend? Amazing I know! I was sitting close to the incredible pipes of the organ that you see in the picture below.

5 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT PICTURE!! Love that big smile - I am so proud of you!!! Congratulations and can't wait to see you.
    love and hugs Mom (hope this works)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worked under anonymous- guess it didn't like Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlyn here - I miss ya, honey, and I'm counting the sleeps until you are back!! I have been trying to find a map of your journey, but so far they are not very information. I am in awe of you, GF!!! Thank you for having the discipline to blog your adventures, they are a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Catherine, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an achievment !! Happy Thanksgiving Catherine - Jenny Sparks

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.