Monday, March 8, 2010

Beginning

I hate exercise. I really do. I would consider myself a very lazy person in the physical sense. Mentally, not at all. I have a passion for learning and reading and researching and learning some more. I don’t watch television, consider it a sedative for the brain, but do enjoy a good movie. This blog is NOT about exercise and getting fit. I suspect on the way that may happen, but this is really about something more. I am turning 54 years old in April ’10 and for anyone who has reached the age of 50 you have lived enough years for many things to have happened. Great things, not so great things, sad, funny, amazing, disturbing, secret, boring, wonderful things. I guess you could say that I’m at a cross-roads and feel that I can’t move forward until I sort out all the things….. all the thoughts that perhaps are holding me back. Walking will be the way that I do this. I’m not sure why or how yet, but I’m very sure that it needs to happen.

I met Sue Kenney at the Women’s Lifestyle show here in London ON on Saturday. She wrote a book about walking 780 kms on the Camino de Santiago when she was at such a crossroads in her own life. Well I would love to tell you that I am in rigorous training and I am going with her in May when she returns to the Camino, but that would be insane. First off, I am a bad dog owner and do not even walk my dog enough. After hearing Sue speak on Saturday I took my golden doodle ‘Daisy’ for a 1 km walk. Today is Monday and my shins hurt. For one thing I don’t even own a pair of walking shoes yet and I’m in pretty bad shape. Not that I’m over-weight, but my muscles have been accustomed to very little physical work and prefer to be dormant at my computer or my lazyboy couch. I’m reading Sue’s book now and I will also watch the documentary that she produced. I will be updating on both those things soon.

My first mission is to buy a pair of walking shoes. I have been Googling many brands and hope to get out tonight to buy myself a pair. (I love Google!) Hopefully I will have a picture posted soon of me in my new walking shoes! Well it’s a start 

2 comments:

  1. We have the same physiology. I don't think I'm lazy either but when it comes to exercise I give up very quickly and feel that I have minimal capacity. I've been watching the biggest loser and it's really motivating. I have no excuse when I see these people in WAY worse condition than I am running a km, then 5, then 13, then a marathon. I can barely run three blocks!

    When I came up with the idea of a career change involving psychical activity, the first thing everyone said was "you couldn't pass the endurance test". First thing that came to their mind. Pretty pathetic. So I'll be following your journey and hope to improve along with you. I can use all the motivation I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to get one's self motivated. Only thing I don't agree with, is that you're turning 54 years old. After all this walking you will, without a doubt, be 54 years young. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.