Sunday, March 14, 2010

Defining my Purpose

Today I walked 7km. Not sure If I should have pushed myself that far because when I started out I had the usual nagging pain in my left hip which, by the time I got home, spread throughout my whole leg and ankle. I am going to start doing some yoga stretches to sort this hip thing out. I'm sure I can do it; I just have to keep going.

As I walked into a strong icy wind, feeling my face go numb and the jab in my hip with every step, I asked myself, "why am I doing this?" I need to have a purpose or else it feels pretty stupid. Fitness has never been a huge motivator for me, so that's out. I have finished reading Sue Kenney's book My Camino and now reading The Pilgrimage by Paolo Coelho. I had thought that walking the road to Santiago would be such a fabulous thing to do, but reading Sue's book scared me a bit. It is obviously not easy to walk 700 km, but when you hear just how hard it really is.. well I just got thinking, "I don't know if I could do this". I don't like the idea of trying something and failing... of walking the 1st 100 km and giving up, so I sort of gave up on the idea altogether. But by the time I finished the book I immediately downloaded The Pilgrimage to my Kindle because I want to know more.

As I walked today I thought; What's the harm in setting a goal? I'd sure like to spend my 55th birthday on the road to Santiago and that will give me a year to get in much better shape. So now I have a purpose. Camino de Santiago in April 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.