Friday, August 24, 2012

Halifax

"Yesterday is swept away along the windy shore. No tomorrow by the sea... is like the day before" Those are the words written at the B&B that I stayed in last night. I had planned to go on a rant about the evils of airports but after reading that, I told myself to "let it go".

This morning I went to Pier 21 where I was hit with a very powerful dose of reality. Pier 21 is the harbor where every immigrant and all WW II troops passed through going in and out of Canada. The immigrants had been on ships for 2-3 weeks, often sick the whole way and leaving loved ones, whom they never saw again. I watched a very sobering movie that left me very choked up and I wish that all Canadians could have the opportunity to see it. I will never complain about airports again.

On a lighter note ..... I'm in HALIFAX! Why have I never come here before??? It really is very beautiful. People have been telling me that for years so it's nice to finally see it myself. After Pier 21 I had the most delicious organic avocado sandwich on the waterfront and then toured the Maritime Museum, another place full of history and amazing ship stuff. I also learned about the Halifax explosion, a very sad event in 1917 when two ships collided. The one carrying explosives blew up, destroying the city and killing many.

After eating an 800 cal moody gooey ice cream, this was supper :) Mussels and Oyster yummmm!

And then ... what better way to end my 1st day of vacation than a sailing tour of the harbour!

 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point... airports/planes are definitely not worse than the alternatives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave and I went to Pier 21 when we were in Halifax five years ago. My mother (with a baby in her arms, my sister Coleen) came through there when she immigrated from Ireland to Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.