Monday, August 27, 2012

The Long Way To Digby

It's about 120km or so from Wolfville to Digby. So it should take about 1.5 hrs to drive right? Wrong. It took me closer to 4 hrs because I thought I should be able to find a way to drive along the ocean. After crawling along gravel, bumpy, winding roads for two hours all I had to show for it was this picture of a lighthouse (and likely a few chips of paint gone from the rental). I finally decided that the only way I was going to make it was to find the highway. Easier said than done when you're in the middle of nowhere. I did make a few interesting stops along the way; one at Annapolis Royal and the other at Bear River. I toured the oldest wooden house in Canada, built in the 1700s and had a personal tour of the Bear River Winery. My tour guide Bonnie is from the U.S. and is about the 10th person who has told me that they came here on vacation and never left.

Now here I am in Digby and no, I did not take a photo of the scallops I had for dinner to make you envious. The B&B I am staying in is called Come From Away. How is it possible that each place I stay gets better? I have the most amazing view ever and a friendly (and good looking) host. Joe has a 14 year old Airedale 'Todd' who makes me miss my Daisy. It looks like I'm going to be out of here just in time before the annual biker rally next weekend when there'll be 25,000 bikers in town!

The docks here are specially built to rise and fall with the tides. In the picture the tide is fairly low. When it gets higher those steps will rise with the dock. Since there are Whale Watching tours here, and if I can get beyond my sea sickness concerns, it might be my plan for tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.