Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sometimes the Answer is to Run Away


I went to a book club gathering recently where we discussed Jane Christmas’ What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim. After walking the Camino de Santiago last year I have not read a single ‘pilgrim experience’ novel because now I have my personal story and it is sacred to me. So when a member of the book club asked me to join in on this one I was reluctant. But I loved this book! Maybe it had something to with the fact that I could relate so completely with the author, but I think that anyone, whether planning on walking the Camino or not, would enjoy it. There was one little drawback from the read though. I started reminiscing and feeling very sad because I want to return to the Camino so badly. Now before you start thinking, “What? You crazy lady you’re going to walk across Spain again?”; No, I’m not in a position to do that right now … but I wish. 

Two days ago I came home from work, sat in a chair in my living room, and started to cry. I’m not a big crier and tend to stay positive about every situation, thinking each challenge is really a new opportunity. But this time I felt beat; mentally exhausted and worn down. You know the feeling I’m sure. The reports, assessments, consultations, objectives, deadlines, were swimming around in my mind and even though it was 5:00 Friday of a long weekend I wept. So what did I do? I called my mother and said, “I’m going to Nova Scotia”. That’s right; when life is getting you down sometimes the best answer is to run away for a while, gain a new perspective and have some fun.

I woke up the next morning and instead of my usual Saturday routine of market, laundry, cleaning; I sat down at my computer and booked a flight that leaves for Halifax in 3 weeks. As soon as I had done it I started to smile and then got a great deal on a car rental too.  I feel renewed and a few years younger just thinking about the adventure.

For anyone who has never taken a vacation by themselves, I strongly recommend trying it one day. I learned the benefits of travelling alone while walking the Camino. When you are not constantly engaged with someone else you become engaged with the world. You see more, listen more, and meet new and interesting people. You never have to negotiate  ‘what to do next’ or wait for hours for someone to browse in a shop you have no interest in. Travelling alone means doing exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it; walking, driving, sleeping, eating whenever you want. It’s paradoxically a complete hedonistic and mind opening experience all in one.  That sounded a bit deep, but honestly, I know so many people who would never think of travelling alone and I personally love the experience.

I will fly into Halifax and start driving along the South Shore with no plan other than that. Spontaneity at it’s finest. 
Like https://www.facebook.com/photographybyCJ

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how our body responds in such a positive way when it knows we're making the right decision for our own physical and mental health!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, have you read Jane's first book? She ran away, too, taking a sabbatical from the National Post by retreating to Pelee Island for the off-season, when only the few permanent residents are around. “The Pelee Project: One Woman's Escape from Urban Madness.”

    London Public Libraries has 5 copies, 1 each at Central, Crouch, Masonville, Sherwood, and Westmount.

    Having corresponded with Jane after reading that book, which I enjoyed so much, I jumped at “What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim,” and reading it became the start of my own Camino.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.