Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 11 - Santo Domingo to Belorado - 25 km

I had a later start from Santo Domingo this morning since my stay at the Parador included breakfast. I started walking at 8:00 and a little way out of the city encountered a bit of a road block. I said, "hello sheep" and they said, "maa, maa" and we all got along fine.

Today was very hot once again and we had very little shade. I found it tough, but I do notice that my legs are getting stronger. I walked through 5 very small villages which were spaced about 4 km apart along the route. I had been expecting, since there so many of these little places, that I would encounter a restaurant for some lunch. I was wrong. There were fountains and brief reprieves from the sun, but no food. Here is a town about 15 km out of Santo Domingo where there is nothing but a Pepsi machine. Would be a good place for them to make a commercial.

It hasn't rained here for a couple of weeks now and the hills are starting to get quite brown. Come to think of it, I'm starting to get quite brown too, but in funny little sections of my body, since the sun is always on my left.

By the time I'd walked 20 km I was having some serious hunger energy heat issues. I was walking alongside a French woman and her son and we as we turned a corner there was a very nice restaurant right there in the middle of nowhere. We high-fived and said, "alleluia". Huevos con jamon y tostados con tomates never tasted so good!

My French friends decided to wait there 3 hours to take a bus to our destination, only 5 km away. I figured I was renewed enough to walk my way into Belorado. I think this was one of my slowest days ever, as it took me nearly 9 hours to go 25 km! That's including a whole lot of breaks of course.

Now I am at Belorado sitting in the Plaza, the centre of life for Spanish towns. The menu piligrina will be soon and then I'm sure an early night to bed!

6 comments:

  1. 25 km - amazing!! Walked an hour in the mall a couple of days ago and was pooped! I look forward every day to the descriptions of your journey and pictures hon. I leave for Halifax tomorrow morn and can continue to see your blog at Linda's. Bill is still in N.B. and will be coming to Halifax for a day on Monday before he heads home. Hope the legs continue to feel better day-by-day. Love and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,I really enjoy reading about your daily adventures. When I was there, it was non-stop rain, and everyone who has ever walked it, talk about the rains. So you are very lucky to not have to deal with soaking wet gear (which becomes much heavier), trying to dry it out, etc. You have been taking excellent pictures. You said that most towns/hostels have good wifi but what are you using. Is this a I-pod? I am not very tech driven. Do you have a phone card or are you strickly using the wifi? When you get back to London, you will have to put a course on, how to blog from the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support and following along Tim. I broke down and bought an iPad. There is wifi in every Albergues I've been in except for one. And I use an application called Blogsy that's working pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Pics! Feel like Im on the tour. Getting ready for Fri night. Enjoy each step of your walk. Love, Deva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deva. I've been spending my Friday night eating olives and seafood while people watching in the Plaza Major of Burgos

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.