Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 8 -Torres Del Rio to Logrono - 20 km

First more about last night. I met up with the Irish contingency (or so I call them) for the Menu Pelegrino. There were 9 Irish and Canadian me at our table. I just love the Irish people here. They really are the friendliest and so much fun. Of course for me it helps that they speak English. I'm sure the French and Spanish and everyone else is fun too. Irish people say 'lovely' a lot. And the more red wine they drink, the lovelier everything becomes. We had a 'lovely' appetizer of asparagus and salad, followed by a 'lovely' grilled salmon with chips. Every dinner in Spain comes with 'chips', better known as french fries to us Canadians.

This morning we headed out at 7:00 a.m. and walked in the dark under a full moon. The rising sun brought with it some beautiful scenery and the entire morning consisted of one breathtaking view after another. We arrived at Viana at 10:30 a.m., a town of 3,500 people. Like many towns in Spain it consists of the old city and the newer residential area. The Camino runs through the old city. These Spanish people really like their festivals! Who knew that we would be there just in time for the Fiesta de la Virgen de Nieva Viana 2011? I googled it and the fiesta is a nine day long party consisting of running of the bulls, feasting, parades and a variety of shows. It's tradition to wear white with a red scarf, which would explain why everyone at Torres Del Rio was dressed in white and red yesterday. Before the parade this guy with the big head ran through the streets with his leather whip chasing the kids. They were running and screaming with pretend terror, but I think some of the younger ones were really frightened.

I'm now in the city of Logrono, population 150,000. I'm not feeling terribly positive today. I guess I figured it would be getting physically easier by now, but I just hurt differently everyday. My legs weren't as stiff today, but my feet are very sore and I walked into town like an old lady. I feel that this would not be so difficult if it didn't get so hot by noon. With the temperature at about 30c or more everyday my energy is getting drained. I understand that it is suppose to get cooler by the end of this week. According the the 'book plan' the walk tomorrow is to Najera, or about 30 km. I already know that there is no way I can do that. I also know that I push myself because of other's who make plans to walk certain distances due to time restraints. Some only have 2 weeks here and are only walking a section of the Camino. I'm going to have to let go of the notion of sticking with a certain group at this point because we all have different physical limitations. I'm going to take a walk, or should I say 'shuffle' down to the plaza now to meet up with some fellow pilgrims for dinner.

5 comments:

  1. Hi hon - Go easy on yourself - you are already an inspiration to many!! Don't know where you can get it but soaking your feet in warm water and Epson Salts may help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your updating. Thanks for keeping us informed. I look forward to this ever day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like 'Mom' said, you are already an inspiration to many. Far more than you can ever imagine because there are zillions of people who view your blogs daily who do not sign on as followers, do not ever comment, but take your words and inspiration and better their personal lives with it. Go at your own pace - it is you Camino and no one else's. Enjoy it, smell the roses, and keep us posted. Like others have said, many of us check a couple of times a day, very much looking forward to your updates. When you get back, I am interested in finding out if you used WiFi or whatever to do all of these postings. And finally, you are an excellent writer if you did not already know that and maybe there is a new career in that???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you were feeling down the day you wrote this. Having spent such 'lovely' times with your Irish pilgrims it would be hard to see them go on ahead of you. But be kind to yourself. Go at your own pace. I'm sure having some cooler weather will perk you right up! You are amazing, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine I am so glad that you have included all of these pictures. I had this idea that the Camino was a trail that was at the side of the mountains, it is much more beautiful than I thought. Hope you have a good sleep. Denise

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.