Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 18 - Ledigos to El Burgo Ranero - 31 km

Today felt like a long time for some reason. When I think back on this morning it seems like last week. I left Ledigos at 7:30 a.m. and passed through Terradilos de Templarios about an hour later. On the road to Moratinos I passed by Rita who has been a Camino friend for many days. Rita is one of those people who I always meet wherever I go. We may not see each other for a day then, out of the blue, she will just be there. We spent a good chunk of the day together in Santo Domingo and here is a picture of us together at Boadilla del Camino. There is hardly a day that I have not bumped into Rita in some peculiar place. This morning when we met up she was quite ill but still walking. I was resting at Moratinos when Rita came by and said she needed a taxi because she was too sick to continue. I went to find one and accompanied her to the nearest emergency medical centre which was in Sahagun. We both thought that she would be waiting for hours so I went for a coffee and said I'd be back in half and hour. When I arrived back Rita had been seen and treated by the doctor and was sleeping in a chair waiting for me! We found a hotel for her to recuperate in for a couple of days.

First more on Moratinos. Being there was like being transported back in time and it reminded me of Lord of the Rings. There was a hill with miniature doors imbedded along the side. I haven't found out yet the history yet, but in think Gollum must have lived there. Many towns have homes with walls that are constructed of earth, but this one is particularly unique with it's blue window shutters. You can also see the straw from the farmer's fields. Moratinos is definitely on my list of magical places to be.

After saying my goodbyes to Rita I proceeded to walk. On my way out of Sahagun I ran into several people who I had met over the past couple of weeks. I realize that I'm never alone now. There are people at every turn who I have spent time with and often we don't even speak the same language, but we share the Camino language of a warm smile and "Buen Camino". I sat down to rest under a tree only 1 km out of town and shut my eyes for awhile. In the distance I could hear a strange kind of music which was getting louder and louder. All of a sudden I came to with a start to find that I had company! There was a French fellow passing by at that moment so I asked him to take a picture.

It was difficult walking in the sun once again today. I walked 18 km from Sahagun to El Burgos Ranero and was grateful to be joined by an Australian fellow named Peter for the last while since I was feeling as if I may keel over on the side of the road. When I arrived at El Burgo I was told over and over again that all the Albergues were full. As I stood at the side of the road not knowing quite what to do, a car pulled up. The driver got out and said, "Albergue"? He motioned for me to follow him and it turned out he was the owner of a private Albergue that wasn't full. Here is my home for tonight that I am sharing with a young fellow from Denmark.

After many laughs and great food at a local restaurant it is time for bed. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the window picture! We have to get that framed!

    You're saying that you slept in the shed featured in your last photo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps is it just me or does your body look 20 years old? Would I be right to assume they you've never been this fit in your life? Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly where I slept Jenn and in the middle of the night it was freezing! Thanks for the 20 year old bod comment; this sun is going to give me a couple more wrinkles though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like being at home on the streets of London with you running into people you know , everywhere. Just like home. You're getting fitter. Great! Getting ready for Friday night. Peter is 5 tonight. Should be good. Take care. Love, Deva. P.S. We miss you here.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.