Sunday, September 4, 2011

Paris Airport

One sees a lot of things in an airport in 6 hours. I took note of a few things that interested me.

  • A group of 17 -18 year old girls that sat In a circle for 2 hours talking and nobody was texting. I glance over several times not not once saw a cell phone. This stuck me as the most amazing thing.
  • hardly anybody was overweight
  • washrooms don't appear to be an important commodity. I searched for half an hour until asking someone, only to find out that they are only in the basement and you have to pay to use them. AND there were no toilet seats.
  • nobody seems to care that they're not online. There was no easily available wireless, even on the eurorail. Withdrawal.
  • lot of young women in the Paris airport dress in a style that I'm not accustomed to. I'll leave it at that, not wanting to be judgmental.
  • I have a feeling that I have many lessons about various cultures in store for me.

9:50 pm:
After a 5 hour train ride, I have now checked into a very basic, but sort of cute hotel near the train station in Bordeaux St. Jean (that St. Jean guy was popular). A shower and a good nights sleep will be awesome. Right now some quiche and salad are looking quite amazing!

3 comments:

  1. Catherine,

    Very glad that you have made it to France and tomorrow you will be in St Jean Pied de Port. You will be very anxious to start walking but the smartest thing to do would be to find a place to stay and take in the town and the atmosphere. After all, you did come half way around the world to get there.

    You mentioned things at the airport that you found strange. My three biggest noticable things at the Charles De Gaulle airport in France was 1) 100% of the ladies and 75% of the men wore scarfs (mind you, I was there in March), 2) people carried pocket or purse ashtrays for their aweful cigarette butts - no squishing them into the pavement like they do here in North America, and 3) there were lots of army people walking around the airport with machine guns (maybe because I was there???).

    You room looks very nice, clean, and comfortable and I hope that you get a very good nights rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine so glad to know you made it albeit with a few snags and will soon be embarking on your journey. Love Denise

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.