Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 19 - El Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas - 21 km

I'm not sure what to say about today. I walked and then walked some more. Everyone in the Albergue where I'm staying is French. Right now I'm hanging out at the bar and showing Facebook pictures to the bar tender. He's showing me pictures of his kids. He's nice and gives me lots of free appetizers so maybe I won't need supper. His favourite musician is Michael Jackson and right now he's playing Adele. :)

This morning felt different somehow. It's hard to explain, but I was walking and felt like I'd broken through some kind of other pilgrim dimension. I don't think I've lost my mind, but I couldn't feel my backpack anymore and my legs were just moving. There was no effort (at least for the first 10 km). I thought, "maybe this is the thing they say happens after a couple of weeks". I have completed more than half of my journey. There are only 370 km until I arrive at Santiago. I think I can do it!

Here is another hobbit house in Reliegos where I stopped for lunch. By the way those little doorways in Moratinos in the hill are bodegas, or wine cellars. Keeping the wine underground keeps it at a perfect, stable temperature. I learned this from Moratinos resident and Camino Forum member Rebekah Scott. Hello Rebekah!

I've done my laundry and it's hanging to dry, so nothing to do now but relax and eat ! :)

1 comment:

  1. hi hon - have just caught up with youe blog - I am soooo proud of you! I went for a walk here in Halifax yesterday which is all uphill and down and thought I needed CPR by the time I got back to Linda's. You are looking great by the way. Linda had her surgery on Wednesday and is doing quite well - was able to get off her morphine pain pill yesterday and slept through the night. She has some good friends here who have offered to help her when I leave so will be flying home next Thursday. Sounds like you are getting stronger by the mile and I hope it continues to get easier for you as you continue on the journey. Lots of love

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.