Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 5 - Pamplona to Puenta la Reina - 25 km

I left Pamplona in the dark at 6:45. I didn't have an ounce of energy to listen to anymore complaints so, feeling just a little guilty, I left on my own. Felt like skipping without my backpack; well sort of. By the time I reached the outskirts of town it was starting to get light. I like walking on my own, meeting and talking with people along the way. French WAY out-numbers the English speakers here!
The towns in Spain are like something out of a storybook. The buildings are as white as white with clay roofs and red begonias in the window boxes. There's not a speck of garbage anywhere and the pride the residence have for their home is obvious everywhere.
At the top of the mountain Alto de Perdon are these well known Camino travellers from centuries ago.
Many people are in a great deal of pain now and limping from blisters. The boots I have are amazing (thank you MEC) and coupled with Smart Wool socks have protected me well. Serious stiffness is setting into my legs and hips and then heat is taking its toll on my head.
As I walk through towns of Uterga & Obanos toward Puenta la Reina I was plotting a plan to pick up my backpack from the monastery and to take a taxi to the top of the next mountain where there is another Albergue. I thought, Yes I'll be a 10 km Camino cheater. I walked into the Padre Reparadores and a good looking priest said, "Hola, 4 Euros". I paid him and was directed to my all female dormitory.

4 comments:

  1. The Camino is yours and yours alone. If you decide to take a taxi to get you to the end of the day's walk - or take a taxi or bus to skip a few towns and get to where you need to be time wise - it is up to you. There are no rules. And you would not be the first one to do it. Like I said before, others just don't talk about it as much.

    Keep going. We are all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A monastery with wifi and a female dorm. Intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That river must have felt soooooo good!! Love the pics.

    Just watched Josh Groban onPublic TV singing "You Raise Me Up" and thought of you. Just remember, a lot of people are raising you up in thought right now!

    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am very impressed and inspired by your trek and your blog. When we met in our walking group and you stated that you were going on this expedition I was in awe. And I am moreso now! Thank you for keeping this blog, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.