Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 25 - Villafranca to Herrerias - 21 km

There were many on the path today walking 31 km from Villafranca to the top of the mountain at O'Cebreiro. When you factor in the difference in altitude, since it's a 1200 meter climb, it works out to be more like 37 km. I decided that it would be a great idea for me to walk only 21 km to the base of the mountain and have a beautiful, fresh walk up that baby tomorrow! There are less than 200 km to get to Santiago now.

The weather was very brisk this morning which made for fast traveling over the hills and through the valleys. Today we were walking in a group of 5 people representing Canada, USA, Ireland and Holland. The 3 in the group who were heading for the top of the mountain weren't carrying their backpacks. The had had them transported in order to lighten the load on the incline. I was carrying my pack and as usual started to stiffen up and slow down after about 10 km. The wonderful, fabulous, and very handsome Eugene carried my pack for me until I reached my destination. I felt quite light and bouncy without that load on my back! Here the five of us have stopped for a picnic lunch.

I am now at a pretty chalet style hotel at the base of the mountain and relaxing with my feet up. It's a beautiful sunny afternoon and I'm enjoying the sound of the cow bells from the pasture across the way. This is the scene from my bedroom and if you look closely you can see the cows.

3 comments:

  1. aren't you too close then if you still have two weeks to go? or are you planning on spending some time looking around afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I totally forgot about your walk up until a couple of days ago (because I'm an idiot), so I'm starting back at the beginning of your blog. I didn't want to miss a thing. I'm up to day 12 at this point, and I'm getting all teary eyed. You are amazing. Your emotional (let alone your physical) strength is unbelievable. I am speechless. (And that doesn't happen often.) I feel like you have given me a gift. So, thanks and good luck !!! (wiping tears)....Jenny Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jenn, I'm planning to spend the weekend in Santiago before Ieaving on Monday.
    And thanks for the comment Jenny. Glad you like my blog and I'm sure I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.