Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Some Camino Stuff.

Life is very simple while walking the Camino. Since I don't have any appointments to keep or all those many important things to get done my mind remains quite calm. There is only one thing I have made an effort to remember while on the Camino and that is people's names. So far I'm doing very well would like this to be something that I remain good at when I return home. A small amount of the walking is done on asphalt pathways or roads, but I would guess that 80% is done over mountain paths and through either vineyards or olive groves.

Life on the Camino is walking, eating, sleeping, walking eating sleeping; all the while watching for the signs of the Camino, either the yellow arrow or the shell. Every so often there is a fountain in the middle of nowhere, or at the entrance of a town. Unfortunately there is graffiti and garbage here, just like in the rest of the world.

Albergues don't open until 1 - 2:00 p.m. Pilgrims who arrive before that time leave their backpacks in the queue for admission. It's quite common to leave your pack sitting there and to wander about town looking for drinks and food. That's my green one ninth from the end, so at least I know I'll get a bottom bunk today!

I have noticed that Spain is a very 'green' country. These bins can be found in all towns, and recycling has truly become part of the culture. Energy efficiency is everywhere. When walking through a park at night the lights are movement activated, as they are in hallways of most buildings that I've been in and then timed to go off quickly. There is one little problem area with this timed light feature. And forgive me for once again bringing up the topic of bodily functions, but after all, I don't have a lot else to think of. Often when entering a toilet or shower stall the light switch is on the outside of the door. There is no 'off' for these light switches, they turn off automatically in 60 seconds. So if whatever you have to do takes longer than that you have to keep yelling for someone else to activate the light and hope there's someone outside the door.

3 comments:

  1. It also seems to hav pretty simple for you to get Internet access. I'm pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, pretty much everyplace that I've stayed has had wifi except for one. In some of them you have to sit in the same room as the router because of the stone walls, but at least I don't have to wait in the line-up for the one computer available!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hon - I'm so enjoying your posts and am happy you've gotten some tips on how to take care of your feet. Your pics help us to get more of a visual view of your journey. It says a lot for people's honesty there that you can just leave your backpacks. Love and hugs (especially for your feet) :)

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.