Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 23 - Villares de Orbigo to Astoria - 16 km

Just an everyday morning on the Camino.

We walked 8 km and came across this this pilgrim lemonade stand, so the speak. All organic and run my pilgrim volunteers. That is Sonja in the sexy black and white pants.

Both Sonja and I sat down last night and did a bit of figuring out of how many days we had left, how far we still needed to walk, and some of the things we really wanted to do before we left the Camino. On the current schedule none of it added up, so we decided on a plan to walk 16 km today, then take a bus from Astorga to Ponferrada. This is a distance of 60 km and gives us 3 extra days, which makes the remainder of the Camino both more enjoyable and doable. Many will say, "but your missing some of the best part!", but but we have heard that about every part, so we just have to do what is within our means right now. This decision means that we will miss the highest point and the cross where the stones of sorrow are left. We found another spot today many pilgrims had left prayers and a piece of their own past sorrows. It was here that I left my own memories and those of a couple of friends from Canada.

My pilgrim boyfriend. This is a funny little guy that is dressed and adorned by the 100's of pilgrims who have passed.

This has been a day of castles! The 1st one is the Gaudi Castle in Astoria, the 2nd the Castle of the Knights of the Templar in Ponferrada.

This has been a very busy day! Besides walking the 16km this morning we have walked many more touring two cities, castles and pastry shops! Back on the trail tomorrow :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, I've not read your blog for a few days. Just caught up with your travels now. I am very pleased to hear that you continue to be healthy and are in great spitits. Good plan to take a bus those 60 km. I am so impressed by your walking those distances day after day. We were wondering how you were managing your laundry! We're all looking forward to seeing you when you get back. Bueno camino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine amazing photos and you look super healthy. Safe travels. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you now daily from my desk living vicariously through you my travelling friend. The Kights Templar castle looks spectacular. This group were amazing. Good plan on how you are going to spend the rest of your travel. Go forth in peace and joy and on blister free feet! buen camino....Ger Reddan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geraldine, I'll go to Ireland on my next trip and visit piligrinos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi hon - justgot back last night from Halifax and am hoping I can send comments from my own computer - didn't seem to work from Linda's. Sounds like you're staying healthy and meeting some wonderful new people. We are enjoying your blogs every day and am boasting about you to all my friends - can't wait to see you and hear more about your amazing journey Love and hugs mom

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.