Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 3 - Roncevalles to Zubiri - 22 km

I have heard from other Pilgrims that it is amazing how a good night's sleep rejuvenates the body and mind. I suppose that's why they say "never quit at the end of the day". I was surprised to find out just how true this was for myself this morning! When I got out of bed, my feet did not hurt, my legs did not ache, and I had my groove back. At the Roncesvalles Refugio there were about 50 people sleeping in one room and there were 3 floors, plus there was an overflow section that held many last night. I spoke with a few who said they do not sleep well with all the snoring in the room. As for myself, I've slept like a rock for 8 hrs each of the past 2 nights. I don't know if I have better earplugs than they do, or if I'm better at zoning out, but I hear nothing.

When I started out walking today it was with so much renewed energy, that I felt myself almost running downhill in places, with my walking poles hitting the ground before me in a quick click clack click clack rhythm. It makes no sense to me why the song that came to mind with the rhythm of the poles was "Disco, disco duck".

As I walked along the path today I thought about conversations that I'd had with people last night and the realization that everyone one was suffering with various pains, blisters, sunburns, general soreness. We spoke many different languages and are different ages, but the suffering is a constant among us all. At the same time, so is the comradery. About one km into my walk I came upon a supermercado and purchased a banana, cashews and plain yogurt. After another couple of km there was a trailer on the side of the road serving cafe. We walked through a couple of small towns and in one I decided I'd better use the public washroom that was available for pilgrims. I'm not sure what to say about this. Think what you will.....

The day wore on and the sun was hot. There were many hills up and down .....up and down ; many of the paths full of rocks. On one particularly steep, rocky section where the sun seemed to be bouncing off the rocks and into my face, I was thinking, 'this first few days is baptism by fire'. Or another way It could be put is 'bootcamp for the mind, body and soul'. As we walk along the pathways and roads the symbols of the Camino are everywhere; guiding us in the right direction and saying, "yes, you're on the Camino!"

Tonight I am staying at a private Albergue (same thing as Refugio or hostel), and the 'pilgrim menu' will be served in about half an hour. And I am starving!

6 comments:

  1. Glad youre getting your groove back. I sleep like a log too. It is wet, cool and cloudy here. Got soaked riding my bike earlier today. Hope you stay dry out there. Otherwise its a drag. Love, Deva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine the pain and suffering that you would be experiencing if you did not do all of that dedicated training before you went. Alot of people totally underestimate the Camino after all - how hard can a walk be? You are doing awesome and we are all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY TO GO HON !!! So glad you have this blog and I look forward to reading your entries. Bill called from New Brunswick and asked about you. Was able to tell him you're injury last week wasn't holding you back from your dream to walk the Camino. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this already sounds like an amazing adventure. Glad youre keeping us informed. I checked this blog 4 times tOday in case you posted something :) even downloaded an app just to keep on track. Love you mom. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine, just did 5 km tonight with our group. Rinky-dink stuff compared to your camino! I'm enjoying reading your blog a lot. You are an awesome writer and your daily musings bring the experiences you're having to life for us your readers a.k.a. your fans. Becomingawalker will be a keepsake to help you remember your pain and joy(as if you could forget). Sleep well . . .

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.