Thursday, September 1, 2011

Two More Sleeps!

My last day of work for 6 weeks! During the last few days there are so many things on my to-do list that simply must get done in order to leave life-as-I-know-it behind. I’m fortunate to have my son staying at the house with Daisy, and I know he will do a bang-up job at keeping the plants alive too. My training continues to go well, but I honestly don’t think there is an effective way of preparing to walk up a mountain, other than to just look up at it and say, “I’m going to walk up you mountain”.


As I meet friends who have read my blog there are several questions that commonly get asked. I’ve decided to write a brief FAQ here.

1. Number one question by far – Are you walking with a group?

Answer – No I’m not walking with a group. While some groups do walk the Camino, most people walk it alone. They meet others along the way and either walk with these new found friends or some prefer to walk in solitude. I will probably prefer to walk with people because I am a talker!

2. How much does it cost?

Answer – There’s no actual fee to walk the Camino. The main cost is in the transportation to get there and home again. There is also the cost of buying the equipment because ultra lite sleeping bags and backpacks aren’t cheap! And who knew that quik-dry travel underwear is $25 per pair! The hostels (or Refugios) are either by donation or about 7 Euros per night. Food can be another 10-15 Euros per day. Of course all of this is what I’m told, having never done it, so I’ll let you know if I experience otherwise.

3. How do you sign up?

Answer – You don’t sign up ahead of time. You just show up at the St. Jean Pied de Port pilgrim’s office and register when you’re ready to start walking. You can also start anywhere along the route and don’t have to walk the whole 800 km. In fact in order to receive the Compostela in Santiago you only have to walk the last 100 km. I’ve heard that for pilgrims who have been walking for 700 km and then all of a sudden come upon the influx of ‘newbies’ in the last 100, there can be a certain feeling of judgment about them being the ‘cheaters’.

4. When does it start?

Answer – There is no official start date; just do it!

And there you have it…. The top questions asked.

As for all the advice I’ve been getting from friends…. Well that’s another story. But I just want to say that only my mother is allowed to say, “Don’t overdo it”, and “don’t try to be a hero” (I may not listen, but she can say it). As for the rest of you who are telling me, “Don’t overdo it”, thanks for the love, but you’re too late; I’m walking 800 km carrying 18 lbs. So I challenge you to “overdo it” just a little bit and to walk at least 3 km per day while I am gone!

Buen Camino

3 comments:

  1. Catherine,

    Tomorrow is the big day. You have put in a lot of training and have made all of the necessary preparations. Your family, friends and co-workers are cheering for you (while quietly thinking that you are nuts, lol).

    Take your time, walk at your own pace, and smell the roses. Look forward to your posts as you make your way across Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tim. You are one of the people who has been a great help with you answers to my questions and by sharing your own Camino experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck sis. Remember to relax and have fun. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.