Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 14 - Hornillos to Castrojeriz - 22 km

I didn't wake up until 7:00 this morning and almost every bed was empty. I'm so used to the light automatically being turned on at 6:00 a.m. that I've never needed to set an alarm while in an Albergue. It seems to be a pilgrim unwritten rule that it is acceptable to turn on the light at 6:00 and no one can complain. This morning everyone had vacated in the dark. These earplugs really do the trick and I was relieved also that the church bell didn't ring past 10:00 p.m. I got about 2 km out of town when Thomas came by on is bicycle. We said our "Buen Caminos" and he mentioned that Giancarlos was not far behind me. Giancarlos and I spent most of the day walking together. He knows a lot more English than I do Italian (which is none) and we managed to communicate very well.
Today was a breeze compared to the others since the temperature only went up to about 17 degrees, there were very few hills, and my legs are getting stronger. There are always the minor little foot problems, but resting frequently has gotten me by so far. I didn't get any breakfast until I had walked 12 km to Hontanas where I was able to get my favourite croissant de chocolate, cafe con leche and orange juice. Hontanas is medieval and a very mystical looking place. We only had 10 more km to walk after leaving Hontanas at 11 a.m.
We passed by these ruins at San Anton where a pilgrim rest area was set up and volunteers worked serving refreshments. Our destination of Castrojeriz seemed to appear over a hill before we knew it. The 1st Albergue we passed had a sign on the door that it was closed for the day. The 2nd Albergue was full by noon. This only left a couple of hotels as options for sleeping accommodations. This idea didn't upset me at all! I was able to get a room at Puerta del Monte Hotel for only 34€ and now sit in the parlour to update my blog. I know I can't do this hotel thing every day but I was sure glad for the excuse today!

3 comments:

  1. Tomorrow marks the start of your third week on the Camino. That has gone by fast. What an awesome trip you are having and you are so good at describing your adventures for us to follow along. We have been having nice fall weather in Southern Ontario with highs in the high teens and lows around 10C so have not had to use furnace or a/c. for a while now. Closed pool yesterday, the Buffalo Bills have won two in a row, the Leafs start their exhibition schedule tomorrow and plans for the Stanely Cup parade are already being made for Younge Street, the Liberals have passed the Conservatives in the polls for the provicial election - and I have to go to work tomorrow - yuck - wish I was there, as I am sure most of your readers wish the same. Good luck and keep going and keep us posted. (Demanding, aren't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally caught up with you on your blog. It is getting cooler here as you endure the endless summer and your journey of a lifetime.

    Do you take notes as you go along? You remember so many details and even the number of km you walk. I guess that's what being "in the moment" is all about. We rush about in our endlessly busy lives trying to keep busy. You are realizing there is so much more to life. I learned that too when I went to Israel last year. It was my trip I will never forget.

    I wish you cooler days and easier walks.

    You have done so much. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both Tim and Suzanne. I don't take notes as I walk as I have very little else to think about. It's great to have such an empty mind and nothing to do except appreciate the moment (or sometimes to not appreciate the moment!) Also I have a small quide book that tells me the names of the towns and # of km so I really don't have to remember much. It really is amazingly beautiful and simple and peaceful here.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.