Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 9 - Logrono to Ventosa - 20 km

This morning I started walking at 6:00 a.m. in order to get an extra hour in before the full heat of the day hit. For several km on the way out of Logrono we walk through beautifully kept park land and lagoona where I had a conversation with some ducks. Joggers and dog walkers joined us on the path and it was at least 1 1/2 hr before we were actually out of the Logrono area. Navarette was 13 km away and I reached it's little cafe at about 10:00 along with about a dozen other pilgrims. One of those pilgrims was Jonas, a German fellow wearing an Scottish kilt and a Texan cowboy hat.

Today I promised myself that I would love my feet. The tape is not due to an injury, only to prevent one because I know it would be quite easy to get plantar fasciitis. If read about a recommendation to stop every 2 hours to remove my boots, change socks and rub my feet. Today that is what I did and I do believe it made a big difference. Notice the nice pilgrim tan line.

Leaving Navarette the temperature was in the mid 30s. It was only 7 more km to Ventosa but it took me almost 2 hours with the sun draining my energy more every minute. Of course, as with every town, Ventosa is on the side of a hill with a steep climb to get there. On our way up the hillside we came upon these ruins from a pilgrim's hospital that was founded in 1185. The 2 hour wait to be admitted into the Albergue was well worth it. This place is like the Hilton for pilgrims. Very clean with ceramic floors and beautiful architecture. And the best part? There's a separate washroom for women and it actually has soap in it! I'm very excited and happy about this. I just came back from a lovely dinner (I'm using that Irish word from now on!) of Paella with friends from Germany, Ireland, US and South Africa.

8 comments:

  1. Your pictures are amazing Catherine. Having never been to Spain, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, I'm really enjoying your travel'blog'. What a week you've had. Your thighs must be like rocks! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, your writing and pictures are amazing and so inspiring! Thank you... Not many washrooms but WiFi everywhere - what a wonderful world we are! Catherine, about bedbugs - just a few drops of Lavender oil (or a piece of lavender flower)on a bed would keep them away. Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine! What a great adventure you are having! Love the blog and pics:) You go girl! Hope day 10 is a great one:) Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all for the sweet notes. They sure make make smile. Sending love from the Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine,
    Just tuning into your blog now, what a wonderful running comentary on your journey! I can't imagine hiking in the middle of the day there - there is a good reason Spain is a mid-day siesta culture:) Thanks for sharing your journey with those of us who would love to do it too. Take good care of yourself and your feet.
    Cheers,
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine its seems like you have been away longer for some reason. Congrat's on all of your accomplishments to date! Denise

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I can no longer allow anonymous comments due to spammers.